Friday 20 October 2017

Autumn

The rain continues to pour, the Wharfe continues to puff out its chest and the Town Poet duties continue to keep me on my toes. September saw A Firm of Poet's farewell gig sell out St Austin's Hall in Wakefield as part of the city's Lit Fest. It was an emotional event, as well as being a star-studded event, with John Hegley, Becky Cherriman, Laura Potts, Kate Fox and Linton Kwesi Johnson following us on stage. I've mentioned what an honour it has been to perform with my fellow Firm members and I shall miss them unfathomably.

Then, on National Poetry Day, Korks Wine Bar, on Bondgate in Otley, was packed out for our performance of 'Town Below the Steps'. I was dead chuffed with the turn-out, as well as the cast and musicians who made it such a special night. Also, immense thanks should go to everyone at Korks who were magnificent hosts. This is the third public performance of the poetry play and I don't know when the next one will be, but you can still listen to it on the East Leeds FM website or read it after you've bought a copy from Otley-based publisher Half Moon Books.

Finally, I foolishly took a dive into the world of theatre - and found myself treading water - by taking part in Otley Welcomes and ice&fire's production of 'The Asylum Monologues' at Otley Courthouse. The play is composed of genuine testimonies from people seeking asylum in the UK and performed around the world. All profits from its performances are donated to Amnesty International, so we were thrilled that almost 70 people came to the 100-capacity venue to watch me struggle to perform alongside outstanding actors Astrid Copeland and Andy Squires.
                                                                             
I think that's it for now... except to say that I have begun work on a poem to celebrate 300 years of Thomas Chippendale. At first, I was daunted by the thought of paying tribute to the great man, in verse, but having researched his background I have since discovered that he is somewhat of a poet of carpentry - he was once described as "the Shakespeare of furniture". He very much had his finger on the pulse of culture during his time and it was reflected in his art. It's a shame certain nervous poets struggle to do the same...

No comments:

Post a Comment